Background

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Meet the Parents

Whew.  I finally feel like I'm caught up on the blog.  It was important to me to document 2011 briefly and bring Bo into the blog.  Bo and I were talking earlier, and January has been a really awesome month.  It's the perfect start to 2012 - Argentina, Bo's 29th birthday, and I finally met Mr. and Mrs. Viilo this weekend. 

Bo's parents decided to make the trip down to Houston.  Honestly, I would not have been more excited.  I've been wanting to meet them for quite some time now, but getting to Virginia was not really possible last year.  Meeting the parents of the man I love is REALLY important to me.  When you think about spending the rest of your life with someone, you also have to think about spending the rest of your life with their family, as well.  I had met one of Bo's brothers, Will, last year when he came down to visit.  He's was just as laid back as Bo, so I anticipated that Bo's parents would be laid back as well.

Bo's mom, Beverly, is a petite woman who loves to talk and cares deeply for her family and friends.  Bo definitely gets his physique and facial features from his mom's side of the family.  I enjoyed hearing about how much fun she is having in retired life - traveling, walking adventures, and dinner parties.  Can I retire at 25?  She asked me lots of questions about my work and about me and Bo.  It was encouraging that Bo has told her a lot about me!  Bo's dad, Mike, reminded me a lot of Bo's personality- calm, calculating, and independent.  I've decided that Mike's theme song is "And I would walk 500 miles, and I would walk 500 more..." You know the one I'm talking about, right?  Anyways, Mike takes 2-3 months of every year to walk long distances.  Last year he walked like 1,100 miles across Europe.  He was getting ready for his next walk in February - 700 miles across Spain.  Why does he do this, you may ask.  I asked him the same question.  He just enjoys the time by himself, and feels that he can really see the world by walking.  Maybe Bo and I will get to walk with him one day!

As our guests were from Virginia, Mexican food was definitely a must for Friday night dinner.  I picked out a new outfit and nervously joined Bo and his parents at Bo's place.  They were immediately friendly and warm.  We enjoyed a nice meal together at Molinas, complete with margaritas and guacamole (which seemed to be Mr. V's favorite part of the meal).  We called it an early night to prepare for the busy day ahead. 

Saturday started with a refreshing brunch at The Black Walnut and then we went to the Museum of Fine Arts for the King Tut exhibit.  I didn't have many expectations, but I was a little under-whelmed by the exhibit.  I figured there would be more shiny things, and mummies, and gold.  But there was very little of this stuff.  Mainly just a bunch of old statues.  But the day was redeemed by a walk at Hermann Park.  The weather was absolutely beautiful this weekend, and the park was buzzing with people.  Mr. and Mrs. V walked hand-in-hand, as did Bo and I.  It was such a great afternoon together.  After a short naptime, we decided to get some good ole Texas BBQ at Hickory Hollow.  We walked in and were surprised to find a Western band playing!  There were lots of people there just to hear the band sing songs like "You are My Sunshine" and other western classics.  After dinner we brought Bo's parents to see my new house!  They were surprised at how much space I have - and probably by the lack of furniture.  But I've got plenty of space to grow and I'm going to take my time decorating.  We had a great night and said our goodbyes since Bo's parents would be heading to the airport in the morning.

I was a little nervous, but overall it was a fabulous weekend.  I don't think it could have gone any better.  Bo's parents are wonderful and I definitely could see them as part of my family in the future.  I am looking forward to visiting their homes in Michigan and Virginia, and to seeing Bo's roots.  I am so happy that I got to meet Bo's parents - check off another milestone in our journey together :)!!

1 comment:

  1. Awe Yay Nikki! I am so happy for you!!!! :) You are truly happy and everyone can tell! Congrats, you deserve it! :)

    ReplyDelete