Background

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Life's A Beach ~ Maui Day 1

As promised I took lots of pictures and am ready to write about our Maui vacation!! Lucky for you I have a 5 hour flight and nothing else to do but write this blog post. Haha... So here goes!!



Maui Day 1 - Life's A Beach

Bo and I landed in Maui around 10:00am island time on Monday. There's a 5 hour time zone difference between Hawaii and Texas... It took some adjusting, but we didn't feel too bad that we were asleep by 10:00pm nearly every night! When we got off the plane, Bo was like a little kid- so excited and so giddy that he was back on the island. We picked up the rental car and were pumped that we could upgrade to a jeep! We immediately took the top off and started our island adventure!


We checked into the Maui Coast Hotel which is located in a part of the island called Kehei. It is a beautiful hotel and is situated close to just about everything we wanted to do. We were there a little too early and our room wasn't quite ready, so we changed into our swimsuits and started beach hopping!




Our first stop however was the corner store because I could already feel my skin getting pink from Hawaiian sunshine. (My forehead is a little burned and peely, but nothing too bad.)

After that we were set to go! Bo showed me lots of awesome beaches, including Secret Beach and Big Beach. Secret beach is a fabulous beach that is a hard to find unless you know it's there. A lot of europeans seem to like it because it's, well, secluded... And they don't have to wear a swimsuit if they don't want to. There were only a half dozen people on the beach when we visited that day. Big beach has some of the best waves on the south shore. Bo went body surfing and I watched him have fun. I got in for awhile, but those currents were strong... They l iterally flipped me over when I tried to ride the waves! It started to sprinkle and Bo promised me that it never rains in Maui... Well a sprinkle turned into an actual rain shower and we retreated back to the jeep.






There are lots of food trucks close to the beach and Bo and I picked one called Bubba's for lunch. We split the Cajun shrimp and they were AMAZING! For 10 bucks we got like 10 big shrimp, rice, and potato mac. I had never had potato mac before but I'm a huge fan. It's basically mayo based potato salad with macaroni. Yummy...


We finally got checked into the hotel around 4:00. We laid out at the pool for a bit and met an older Canadian couple. I was a little shocked when they told me they were on their honeymoon! They asked if we were too... We were asked that several times over the course of the week. Next we decided to rent bikes to ride down to the beach and watch the sunset.



On the beach the wind was blowing!! It felt like west Texas with all the sandblasting. I took the picture below as we were leaving... We were basically buried in the sand.



We decided to move the sunset party to a bar down the road called Life's A Beach. One thing that we loved about Maui were the happy hour specials. I got a carafe of Mai Tais for $6!!! Crazy huh? But the sun finally set and we were definitely not disappointed!






We wrapped up the evening by picking up dinner at a restaurant called Da Kitchen, one of Bo's Maui favorites. We both got teriyaki chicken and it was delicious. The portions were huge, so I had no problem falling asleep with a full stomach!! It was an awesome first day on the Maui beaches!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Maui, HI

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing adventure! And having a personal tour guide you lived there doesn't hurt either. :-)

    ReplyDelete