Background

Friday, February 17, 2012

Project Guest Room

I got in trouble today with my friends because I haven't blogged in awhile... haha seriously?  It's only been like two weeks... I guess I do have something to blog about, I just haven't found the time to sit down and upload the pictures and write the actual blog.  But you're in luck because now I have a little bit of time to write a post... on a Friday night at home... when the rest of the 20-somethings in the world are partying it up.

A few months ago dad told me that he was going to be down in Houston for a conference in February and he wanted to stay with me the last night he was in town.  Sure!!!  Dad hadn't seen the house yet so I was super excited for his visit.  The night he had planned to stay at the house was Valentine's day, but I didn't mind because what could be better than spending Valentine's Day with my two favorite men in the world - Bo and my daddy. 

Anywho, I have been putting off and putting off decorating one of the guest bedrooms because I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do.  The bedrooms are like blank canvases and I could do almost anything with them.  Do I want to paint?  Do I want new furniture?  Neutral tones?  Modern or classic?  Too many choices, so I procrastinated like I always do until I have a firm game plan.  So I did what anyone would do who is needing some creative inspiration - I looked on Pinterest! I absolutely fell in love with the room below:
The combination of the gray and white gets me every time.  I didn't want the room to be too dark nor have a true "accent" color, so I decided it'd be cool to have multi-colored patterns as the accent rather than purple.  Below is kind of what I'm talking about... I've got the flowers more or less purchased, and will be going to High Fashion Fabrics tomorrow to look for the something similar to the paisley.


Last Saturday I was a woman on a mission.  After a few minor setbacks, I had purchased all the bedding and paint for the room.  I got most of the basics from Home Goods - sheets, pillows, duvet.  At Bed Bath and Beyond I picked up a quilt and shams, a white duvet cover, and a few trashcans.  I wasn't 100% in love with the quilt, but BB&B has a great return policy and the quilt would work until I found what I really wanted.  Well, I found it on my next stop at Restoration Hardware.  They didn't have the quilt I wanted in stock, but I was able to order it - it should be delivered mid to late March. (darker graphite color below). And I also found my paint at Restoration Hardware.
Heirloom Quilt & Shams

I ran by Lowe's to get the painting supplies and headed home ready to tackle Project Guest Room.  I examined my supplies and realized I had forgotten a paint stirrer.  So I went back to Lowe's and while I was there, I decided to get some form of protection from the mosquitos.  With all the rain, my backyard has turned in to a haven for flying insects.  And big ole mosquitos too!! (I later found out that these are in fact not mosquitos, but mosquitos wasps that kill actual mosquitos... who knew??)  At any rate, I also bought a bug zapper... kzzz!~


I taped off the entire room and closet (which took forever!).  And utilimately ran out of tape... so that ended Day 1 of Project Guest Room.



Day 2 of Project Guest Room began with another trip to Lowe's (third trip) to pick up some more tape.  And then it was painting time.  I got the first coat done and was so tired that I had to give up for the evening and spend some time with Bo after he got home from a 4 day trip.





The time was ticking and my dad was going to be at the house on Tuesday!  I had one day left to get the second coat on the walls and get the room ready for dad.  I enlisted Bo's help, and we finally got it done at midnight on Day 3.  The next day I pulled the tape off the walls and fixed up the bedding.
 


 It's just a start, but it's a good one!  This weekend I'll search for the wall decor and accent pieces.  I really like how the room looks so far.  Now just have to finish the vision!  I'll post an update sometime next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment