Background

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Fear of What? A Chili-Cook Off

The highlight of a dreary weekend in Houston would most deifnitely be a chili cook off!  A local dive bar called Liberty Station hosted a cook-off and Bo and I joined a team with 2 other couples.  Unfortunately, I wasn't involved in any of the planning because of my work schedule.  But luckily I can to participate in the day of and help a little big at the event.  Austin is one of Bo's friends, and his family owns a large ranch just an hour outside of Houston.  All the meat used to make our chili was shot and killed on his ranch.  We used 4 different meats - Sika deer, red deer (Japenese), Axis, and Texas Longhorn.  I've never had any of those before!  We mixed it with lots of beans and peppers and spices.  The result was AMAZING - probably some of the best chili I've ever had.  Bo came up with the idea to serve it with sweet buttered corn bread, and that was such a good compliment to the spice of the chili.  Our team name was Cenosillicaphobia - the fear of an empty beer glass.  Try saying it 5 times fast... I can't even say it one time slow!! 

We had a great time and enjoyed hanging out on a Sunday afternoon. Despite being the crowd favorite and the best in showmanship, our team wasn't in the top three.  Oh well, there is always next year!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment